Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WHEN DID I BECOME A TYPEFACE JUNKIE?

The older i get, the more my interests delve into new and exciting territories. Perhaps I'm growing comfortable with myself - who i am as a person - and thus have more confidence in exploring things that speak to me, as opposed to sweeping them under the carpet, and adopting whatever aesthetic has captured the imagination of the "collective".

Or perhaps i am giving myself too much credit? Maybe everyone has always been interested in the things i am just now discovering, but, as usual, i'm just late to the party.

The more that i think of that, the more that sounds feasible.

I've recently discovered a love for typeface. Lettering in all its bold, italicized, to-serif-or-not-to-serif glory. It is quite a compelling topic for me - i've spent the last hour on the internet, devouring everything i could find on the subject. And now i am spending additional time blogging about it. Its like architecture - for letters! And who knew so much thought went into their formation and design? My Amazon wishlist just doubled in size.

Oh and if one if you buys me this i will love you forever and ever.



Its the limited edition "Helvetica" Moleskine, It comes in Red and Black - and is a must for any typeface junkies collection. I'm fairly salivating. (love love love helvetica)

Speaking of words and design... Does this name ring a bell? Alex(hey that's my name too! lol) Steinweiss

If not, you may be interested in knowing that he invented the concept of (record) album covers and art. Yep. Before him, records were sold in nondescript bland packaging. Alex Steinweiss saw a blank palette on which he could flex his artistic muscle, and thus - the album cover was born. His designs are still regarded as icons of the genre.


(the first album cover)






Cool huh?

INXS - I need you tonight




2 comments:

rashad

I'm not sure if this counts, but I found this typeface for Spike's movie (http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/411722.1020.A.jpg) to be pretty cool.

that dude you know

you're great

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist H' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP