Thursday, December 24, 2009

TOP 10 "SEASONAL" THEMED SONGS

This time of year we are bombarded by holiday music. Unfortunately most songs are just sentimental schmaltz. Then again, i shouldn't balk, because I'm a sentimental schmaltz. So, perhaps thats part of the allure. At any rate, if you venture out into public places, its near impossible to escape its tinsel tinged clutches. Add to this the fact that these songs have the unerring quality of getting stuck in your brain. By the end of Christmas season your senses wil have been so overwhelmed by the sound of ringing, you won't know if its sleigh bells or your tinnitus.

Anyway, here are 10 songs of the season that I enjoy and don't mind hearing (especially since I don't have a choice. lol)

1. The Christmas Song - Nat "King" Cole's version please. In my opinion, its the best. Others will do, but only Nat's silky vocals can do the supreme justice to the song (which, btw, Mel torme wrote!)

2. This Christmas - Donny Hathaway. LOVE this song and I only want to hear HIS version. The breakdown in the middle (1:59-2:16) be getting (yes BE) me open! Chris (two fists) Brown did a version and it was an abomination. Autotune and Donny do not belong together. *shudder*

3. Last Christmas - Wham. Another song where only THEIR version will do. Some teeny bopper (taylor swift?) remade it recently and when I heard it blaring through Dollar General's sound system, I almost commited hara kiri on the spot.

4. Let It Snow - Boyz II Men - I hate snow, but when this song comes on, i almost don't mind it. Almost.

5. Baby Its Cold Outside - Any version as its almost impossible to do this duet wrong. I am partial to the Vanessa Williams and Bobby Caldwell's rendition.

6. Sleigh Ride - TLC. I came of age in the 90s and thus this song holds a special charm for me. Don't judge!

7. Skating - Vince Guaraldi/Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack - a beautiful song that i wish was longer.

8. Winter Wonderland - Don't know who wrote it, but any version will do. Its just a fun song to sing.. and torment people with at karaoke! :)

9. All I want for Christmas is you - Mariah Carey (see number 6 for exposition. lol)

10. My Favorite Things - John Coltrane. Easily one of my favorite songs of any genre. Love this song.

So here they are. What do you think? What are yours? Did I miss any?

My Favorite Things - John Coltrane

3 comments:

rashad

excellent list. although i've always been partial to two songs
1)my gift to you - alexander o'neal
2)vanessa williams - what child is this

Jazzbrew

"Autotune and Donny do not belong together"

Classic and oh so true.

Great list. I'm with you on #1 and #2... I would add:

1) The ENTIRE Charlie Brown Christmas album. I loved this recording before the jazz bug bit me. Prelude of things to come perhaps?

2) Sleigh Ride (composed by Leroy Anderson). I love this song because I've played it for years in middle/high school bands. The trumpet horse "neigh" was frequently fought over by my peers. Also loved the whip crack at the end.

Leroy Anderson? Is it me or does it sound like a black man wrote that tune...

£

Rashad - can you believe i've never heard either of those songs? What holiday boulder have i been under? I love me some Alexander O'Neal though. Alllll Truuuue Maaaan. Did you see that video? Mr. O'Neal Was giving me serious fever! lol. Anyway, Im gonna youtube both these songs.

Jazzbrew - Yeah the entire Charlie Brown Christmas album is the business. Vince definitely had that West Coast Jazz thing going. IO I think it was definitely a sign of things to come.

and how could i forget sleigh ride! good one. lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with youuuu lol. that is a fun song. whenever i hear it i think of shopping at williams and sonoma. lol.

And now of course i gotta google and see what ethnicity Leroy Anderson was...

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist H' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP