Friday, January 30, 2009

THE CALLER

So I got a call late last night.

I had turned my ringer off, so it was the vibration that woke me up. It jarred me out of sleep, and i considered ignoring it completely, but my curiosity got the best of me. I picked the phone up, willing my eyes to focus, but before i could clearly read who it was calling me, my thumb slipped across the touchscreen, hitting the answer button, the equivalent of taking the phone off the hook. I had to answer. Still blind, I put the phone next to my ear, hoping against hope that it was --

"Hello..." I said, doing my best to sound wide awake. I have this thing about sounding groggy on the phone. Not that i don't want people to know I sleep, but for some reason sounding sleepy makes me feel vulnerable. Go figure.

"Hey." It was not the voice i wanted to hear. Or a voice i expected to hear in a month of Sundays.

I was quiet.

"Lex?" "Did i wake you? Were you asleep?"

I looked at the clock. 3:35 AM.

"Yes." I said, too stunned to worry about whether that sounded rude or not.

"Sorry. Can i talk to you though?"

And so we talked. The conversation traveled the same roads and encountered the same barriers.

Nothing had changed.

We hung up, him feeling dissatisfied, me feeling drained. Did our interactions always leave me this way? A rhetorical question that i already knew the answer to. A year ago the call would have had me awake for the rest of the night, agonizing over details. A year ago i would have made an effort. Last night, i just went back to sleep.

Angela Bofill - I try (get well soon angie)



4 comments:

Papier Girl

progress...

(i want to know what that feels like)

rashad

Your lack of agony over the call shows growth baby...great song too.

Janelle

okay is there something in the water??!! I got a call at 3:16 in the morning the other night. Since I'd already spoken to who I would have spoken to that evening, I muted the call (without opening my eyes...that's talent! LOL) and went right back to sleep. Next morning I looked at the phone and was so glad I ignored that call because it would have just pissed me off. All of that to say, I agree with Chubbs and Rashad. LOL
Chubbs, progress sometimes can't be seen in the moment. Sometimes it takes a glance back to see how far we've come.

£

@ chubbs - progress in baby steps. I'll have moments like this and then moments when it feels like i'm totally regressing.

@ rashad - thanks dahlink. The growth is definitely there. Or maybe i'm just jaded. It was a welcome relief that i wasn't agonizing though.

@ janelle - i think it must be something in the water. Its gotta be. And these knuckleheads are all drinking from the same well. lol. And um you are going to have to teach me how to mute the phone without opening your eyes though. Knowing me i'd be knocking over everything. and answering the phone.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist H' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP