MY THINGIE NEEDS A WHATCHAMACALIT
The internet is killing my attention span. I'm not sure when it started happening, but its driving me to distraction. (tee hee. i made a funny!) Tonight, after my workout, i decided that i would sit for an hour, and just READ. I love to read. Reading is what I do. To know me is to read me. Me and books are besties, and oh how i have neglected them. So tonight for an hour, no external stimulation. No tv. No radio. No internet. No phone. Just me, myself and i. Oh, and the book.
I curled up in the wing chair with a lightweight blanket draped across my lap and opened up "cloud atlas." Cloud atlas is a book i've been trying to read for about a month. I took a sip of chamomile, got all snuggly, and for approx five minutes i stared @ the words, ostensibly reading - but not really.
My mind was wandering.
Speaking of dresses, my grandparent's 60th anniversary gala is coming up and i have nothing to wear. I am going to hate myself if i wait until the last minute. Oh i guess i could lose abt 5 lbs too.
My hair is a hot mess, i need to wash it, but i'm too lazy tonight. i'll just throw it in a ponytail tomorrow, its supposed to rain anyway.
I should check my myspace page, its almost a month since i've been on that thing, i wonder if i've gotten any new requests.
omg is that a mosquito? ugh i should twitter that a mosquito is in my house..
Oooh its almost time for dancing with the stars, i wonder how kim kardashian will do tonight. She was kind of stiff last week and her song choice was terrible but...
*shakes head, tries to go back to reading*
- Thursday 7th November
Beyond the Indian Hamlet, upon a forlorn strand, I happened on a trail of recent foot prints...
Hm what am i going to wear tomorrow? transitional season dressing is such a chore. Is it too early for boots..?
Stephen Colbert recently had a guest on his show who was talking about the potential deleterious effects of web 2.0. The guest was Nick Carr, and his book is "the big switch". He got little time to really expound on his theory - this was the colbert show after all - but from what i gathered, he may be on to something. According to blurbs i've read, his book espouses the idea that computers have fundamentally changed the way the common man thinks. Now that might elicit a "duh" from most people, but i think there's more than the obvious implications of that statement. Speaking for myself, there's a marked difference in the way i process information, from say, even as recent as 2000. In 2000, i still was dialing up. i wasn't on teh IMs and i wasnt well versed in teh googles. :( See? But its more than than typing in leet and thinking in soundbytes. My thought process mimics the way i use the internet: a million tabs and windows open, thoughts rarely completed before a new one arises, always parsing. I realize that multitasking can be beneficial, but at some point enough is enough. All those things at onece means that something is going to fall by the wayside. Anyway i'm going to purchase his book to see what he's talking about. Meanwhile, its back to cloud atlas. I'm not going to let the temporary lapse get the best of me. but first, let me see what banana republic's sales are looking like...
5 comments:
Dancing with the Stars is great man..so many good looking women. and toni is outsexying Kim K by a mile...
Toni out sexying Kim? um rashad i wish i could agree with you...but as a kim k STAN, i can't.
of course toni is cute, but her weave is killing me. she needs to put it up in a bun or something. those straggly ends are not the move.
Rashad, you normally mirror my thoughts but Kim K is too smokin for Toni.
Lex, I have experienced the same struggle trying to read but usually it's because the book isn't entertaining me. I recently devoured Mosley's Cinnamon Kiss in a few days but couldn't get past page 10 of a popular autobiography before thinking about my picks in this weeks football pool.
...my bad, I read Blonde Faith not Cinnamon Kiss.
I'm blaming the Internet for that too.
jazzbrew, i have never read any of the walter mosley/easy rawlins stories. are they good?
Post a Comment