Saturday, June 28, 2008

CAN YOU GET BLACK LUNG FROM SAWDUST?

I sure hope not.

The floors in my house are getting redone, and as a byproduct, there is sawdust, everywhere. When i say everywhere, i mean everywhere. If there exists a crevice, the wood particles will find a home. My bedroom door was sealed shut, and when i walked in, i found a thin layer of dust on my dresser. The same for the media room and guest room. I can see why the floor guys were so diligent about taping things off and draping furniture with plastic. This means i'm probably taking in a billion microns of wood with every breath and i know that can't be healthy. I'm just hoping that since it won't be a prolonged procedure(all should be done by monday) that i won't have to be hospitalized due to sawdust inhalation. I'm being extreme, but you know how i do. lol

So yes, while yall were out having kicks -or whatever it is yall were doing on this lovely saturday, i was in the house, working. Finally finishing up on projects that were started when i first moved here. I'm a notorious project starter, but not a project finisher. I know, trifling right? But don't be too hard on me. Yall know how it is. Life and stuff. Best laid plans of mice and men. All that jazz.

Of course, this would be a muggy weekend. Nothing more enjoyable than doing housework in 90 degree weather and 60% humidity. Dust eddies swirling about your temples. Have you ever operated power tools with sticky hands? Its as fun as it sounds. :(

Annoyances aside, the work is getting done. Sure, my house smells like a chem lab - that wood stain is str8 up toxic - but the end result is worth the loss of a few brain cells. I think. I hope. What was i talking about again?

So now that the night has come, the land is dark, and the moon is the only light i see(in theory, true darkness is impossible in the city, darn light pollution) i'm cold chilling, drinking this cup of tea(yes i am the weirdo that will drink hot tea on a warm summer's eve)with the ill plate of broccoli with garlic sauce and shrimp fried rice. I know, not very diet friendly but i'm saying. I worked like a beast today. Tonight I had planned on painting the town red with my girl whose chirren are away for the summer, but both of us were not feeling it. We both called each other like, "do you wanna reschedule? lol...oh wow we are so old.

Oh yeah thats another thing. I made a vow that for the next month, i refuse to blog about anything age related. Like aches, pains, wrinkles and strange odors. What? Not my odors. Just...you know, in general. I've been entirely too negative about my age and considering that i'm still (kinda)young and (sorta)virile, i need to stop, and save it for when i'm really old and have something worth talking about. So I'm gonna embrace my age and stop bugging. At least for thirty one days.

2 comments:

rashad

Do you have a Clif Huxtable-like toolbelt for your around the house projects?

£

lol Nope. but i'm working on it. My dream is to have a craftsman(the best tools according to mi padre)set with every wrench, hammer, screwdriver, drill, known to man.

I totally plan on being a handywoman, even though i'll still call professionals to do the job. I just like being able to do it myself if push comes to shove.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist H' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP