LIFE WOULD BE SWEET IF I COULD FIT SAMPLE SIZES
Fashion is not for the faint of heart.
(warning: this is one of *those* entries. girlie, harangue-ey and shamelessly lacking substance. You know the routine, read or click the x. Its up to you.)
you'd think that something as trivial as buying clothes would be easy to do right? its not. its an agony to itself, peculiar to women (and an assortment of beau brummells) and should only be attempted when sound of mind, physically confident, and not retaining water. At the moment, im totally neither. In fact i'd venture that the allies had an easier time setting the terms of the treaty of versailles then i have been having shopping for new threads. My punishment for flouting the rules.
As you may not know, my grandparents 60th anniversary is on the horizon. In celebration of this momentous occasion, their children have conspired to throw what is turning out to be a gala event. (i could have said party but gala sounds much more festive wouldn't you agree?)
for the last month I have been dress shopping in preparation for this affair. its been a month of utter disappointment, aggravation, and exasperation. Iced with a dollop of despair. A result of me not being able to find anything to wear.
what fits on top doesn't fit on the bottom.
what fits on the bottom doesn't fit on the top.
it makes me look fat.
it makes me look old.
its too "styled."
its too long.
its too short.
its too revealing(not trying to have cougars see all that titty)
ITS TOO MUCH!
This all bears out the idiocy of procrastination. I knew about this event for months, yea, over a year, and still i waited until the last minute to find something decent to wear. The pressure is high, and if i am being honest, more than a little self imposed. If i had gotten the outfit together before now i wouldn't be having this problem.
On top of everything else i seem to have a latent dromedary gene. Whats that you say? Well I get rid of/minimize fat in one location only to have it appear somewhere else. My lovely lady lumps are no more than fat conduits."Oooh baby, My lipid game is tight!" Is my rallying cry, but really no matter how much i spin it, its still a revolting development. (I'm not sure which of my antecedents i have to thank for this affliction, though i have my suspicions.) While i'm sure this "advantage" would be beneficial in the sahara, its not what's up in the mid atlantic.
Dress code is formal and so far I have found nothing I like that would also be flattering on me. I'm going for a sleek simple look, and the gowns that I find absolutely stunning are those that would look perfect...on a 5'9 120lb woman. I'm 5'3 and my proportions are...dubious. At best. I have um...lots of extra-curricular activities about my person, and as much as I love shopping, its an exercise that brings all my insecurities to the fore. Its as excruciating as it is enjoyable. I mean really, there are so many insecurities to explore and exploit! like how grizzled i look under unforgiving fluorescent lights. Or how my my thighs are "whey" gross. Or why my upper arms are so flabby. The humiliating experience of the rheumy eyed jewish lady, aromatic with the fragrance of shalamar, coming in the dressing room and asking me if everything was ok, and did i need to her to get me a size up? At this last indecency its was a wonder that I didn't run out of Saks, singletary-eyed and screaming like a banshee.
Of course I could wear something I already have, but what's the fun in that? The "ing" in shopping stands for acquiring you know. Why scorn an opportunity to build up my wardrobe? Besides its a pretty big deal this anniversary. There will be attendees from here(where they lived for 40 years) and SC, where they live currently. On such a stage who wants to look fug?
you see I have lots of excuses for buying something new, i just don't have the cojones to face the reality that is me when it come to putting this stuff on. Its like everything blows up in the time it takes to get from my house to the store. I leave my home a size six and arrive at my destination a size sixteen! Then i look in the dressing room mirror, and my reflection is all "why bother?" Bulges heretofore unseen, eroding what what was left of my confidence. Its a cruel world, an unforgiving world. A world that can only to be weathered with mood lighting and foundation garments.
?mark asylum - Hey look away ( the swan song of the fug :P)
13 comments:
You were doing just fine until you linked that horrid rap group...how are you?!?!?! And to find that ideal outfit, you should go on the Beyonce diet for a week or two..I read about it in US weekly (my lady gets it not me)
oh hol' up! (wait a minute) don't you act like you're to good for the questionmark asylum. Especially since you DC people are the ones that sicced em on us! besides, this song brings back wonderful memories of HS and unrequited crushes. In other words stop fakin, you know you love it.
as far as the beyonce diet in US weekly(lol @ your disclaimer), i tried that thing and near died. That cayenne thing right? yeah. it was awful. when that didnt work i was hoping i could get anorexic for like a week and drop a quick 10. but apparently you can't starve yourself without experiencing pesky psychological effects
I meant to say how DARE you, not how are you? That typo totally deflated my point..
and yes indeed it was cayenne diet..
I've been trying to upgrade my current collection of "funky fresh gear" and it's been torture. Finding pants is hard for me because I have a small waist but long legs. Either one or the other is right... never both. I end up with high waters or droopy draws... not the look I'm going for.
The difference is I don't have deadline like you do... good luck. Pick something that will make the music stop when you walk in the door (without the comedy record scratch).
@rashad
lol. i figured you did so i graciously adjusted what you said in my head. see how nice i am?
@jazzbrew
slim of waist and long of limb? if you think im going to tolerate that kind of braggadocio you've got another think coming! not on my watch buster! :)
seriously i like shopping for men's clothes(not for myself lol) i like the tailoring and attention to detail that is standard in mens haberdashery. but yeah im glad you feel my plight. its ALways something that is a little off.
and speaking of entrances, i only hope i can make a good one and not embarrass myself like the time i fell down a set of steps onto the sunken dance floor of this ultra chic nightclub in mexico. the experience can be summed up in one sound:this.
Maybe you should wear your Phillies CHAMPIONSHIP shirt to the party!
Congrats girl! Since I can't email you I figured I'd leave a comment.
THANKS jazzbrew! :D
did you watch the game? i'm so hoarse now, but i've convinced myself that i sound lauren bacall-ish so it works lol. i woke up this morning like oh snap it wasn't a dream!
haha that is a great idea for a gown! like mariah at the all star game. i'm making arrangements for my shirt to be turned into a dress as i type! its gonna be hot! lol
Yes I watched and I was cheering with you. It was exciting and I wish I had watched more baseball during the regular season. Next year for sure!
Having your city win a championship in baseball, basketball or football makes the next few days one big party - even at work. Have fun Ms. Bacall!
sounds like you need some spanx and a tailor! when you say formal do you mean you'll be wearing a floor length gown or just really really dressy? because if you get desperate you can always get a black dress from banana republic and hook it up with killer shoes. i'm only 5'1" so i understand your plight. i've always had luck finding dresses at br and lord & taylor. i found a dress once at nordstrom but that was a fluke bc they never seem to have a big selection actually in store. so yeah, get a lbd and splurge on some shoes.
jazzbrew you're fabo! you watched and cheered? thats like 20 cool pts.
yes i actually think im going to be following baseball too (so i won't be labeled a bandwagoner)
and party time indeed! *wops*
tia!
gurrrrlll.
spanx and a tailor and a magician lord knows what else. my body is on cadillac fleetwood brougham status. IOWs - huge. ok i exaggerate, but dress shopping always makes me feel mad frumpy
anyway.
ok when i say formal, i mean floor length. BUT. my aunt was like all the sisters(my mom and aunts) are wearing floor length, my grandmother is wearing floor length, granddad is rocking a tux - but she said my girl cousins and i can wear floor or cocktail. Now i won't get into the vagaries of "formal" - i hate that open interpretation crap - cuz thats another blog for another day.
but it leaves me in a quandary. SOoo what i wound up doing is ordering two dresses, one short one long, and whichever one i decide to wear, i'll return the other one.
And you're on point with the shoes. They can make or break the whole ensemble. Im frothing over these loubous...
I love tia's comment..."spanx and a tailor." you're not alone. This is why I prefer shoe shopping. Nevertheless, I have no advice to offer on gown shopping (other than stay away from beading, gold sequins, neck ruffles, and mermaid trains) but I wish you luck.
chubbs i laughed hoard at tia's comment . she is so right
and you're right, shoe shopping is much more satisfactory. I never come away from the shoe store dejected and consumed with an overwhelming sense of ickiness. lol
and yes, definitely no sequins, fishtails and neck ruffles.
Post a Comment