HAPPINESS IS...
Two kinds of ice cream
Pizza with sausage
Climbing a tree
Happiness is...
five different crayons
catching a firefly
setting him free
Pizza with sausage
Climbing a tree
Happiness is...
five different crayons
catching a firefly
setting him free
- Happiness; You're a good man Charlie Brown
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
So, I was in Chubb's blog earlier reading this entry.
It struck a chord within me.
I haven't been happy in a long time. No wait. Strike that. That's NOT what i mean. I have been happy. There have been moments of utter euphoria that if it was possible to bottle them up i would - just so that i could keep them forever. Take them out, pet them, polish them, make them as new as they day they came into existence.
But.
Even in my most ecstatic moments there is a hint of dolor; my feelings on the daily more of contentment than true happiness. At least happiness as i think it to be.There is always something in the back of my mind - a concern, an issue, - that doesn't allow me to fully enjoy and be. Even in my most blissful moments.
One friday afternoon, when I about 11 years old, my parents surprised me and my brother with Nintendo. Not only Nintendo, but the power pad AND the gun! After months of begging and pleading and accusing our parents of wanting us to be laughing stocks of the community(because everybody else had one. typical ploy of a child) we finally got our wish! My brother and I screamed -well, i screamed, he just smiled really hard. (boys) - when my parents presented us with the bounty. And to top it all off, they uncharacteristically allowed us to sit in front of the TV and play till our heart's content.( i think i got up to level 5 of super mario bros that night.) Their gift was so unexpected, so generous, so fantastic - that we were continually pinching ourselves, in reassurance that it wasn't all a dream. For the remainder of the weekend I walked around with a smile on my face. My spirit one of joy. I was happy.
That's the happiness I'm talking about. That's the happiness I haven't experienced in too long.
Happiness not accompanied by caveats and codicils. Happiness not burdened with worries and fears. Happiness that isn't borne of relief that the worst hasn't happened. Happiness that is only because the alternative is not an option.
Does that kind of happiness -happiness in its purest form - only exist in the psyche of the child? The other day i was walking to the local bodega, and the children from the nearby daycare were out playing. There was so much laughter and squeals of joy that i stopped in my tracks on the way home to watch them for a moment.(no pedo) They were the cutest things! Their giddiness rubbed off on me and i smiled the rest of the way.
Is it silly to think that as an adult I could experience that kind of carefree exuberance once more? When I think about those children playing and my own moments of boundless joy - those experienced as a child and young adult, its makes what I now call happy seem so hollow in comparison.
Part of pilates - and yoga too i assume - is breathing. In general most humans are shallow breathers. These shallow breaths keep us alive, but not in optimal health. Our lungs have a far greater capacity for taking in air than most of us realize. It is the instructors desire to not only get you in shape physically, but to get you to utilize your lungs to the greatest extent. Breathing correctly also gives you the added bonus of being able to perform the exercises better. Funny that learning how to breathe was more difficult than the exercise itself. Breathing, an activity i do all day, everyday, as involuntary as blinking and swallowing - was a challenge. (there's a message in there somewhere i'm sure.)It felt strange, these deep deliberate breaths. but once i had it down, i realized exactly how beneficial it was. My thoughts were clear, i had a greater attention span, i was better able to focus. Immediately i began to wonder how in the world i was functioning before.
And so it is with my happiness quotient. I have a greater capacity to experience than happiness i use. My joie de vivre has suffered from my shallow "breaths." Is it possible to get the magic back?
Eric Tagg - Marzipan
6 comments:
I'm hear to tell you it is possible. happiness is having a bad day, and your lady is waiting with a kiss and a hug. happiness is finally getting the chance to do something you've wanted to do since you were a child. Happiness is hearing you son say "I love you Daddy".
THIS is my favorite post. Brilliant. Here is my blog within your blog... LOL...
IMHO - part of the happiness that children exprience is a happiness blanketed by ignorance. Adults tend not to believe it but ignorance really is bliss. Try going an entire week without watching the news or reading the newspaper. I can almost promise you that your outlook on life would be slightly different without the recommended daily allowance of doom and gloom.
I wish that I had not experienced or seen some of the things that I have over my life time but those experiences are what transformed me from a giggling carefree child to a "serious" adult.
I'm not sure it is possible to go from being a child to an adult without enduring the battle scars that rob us of our carefree spirit. I do think that is important to MINDFUL of that fact and do whatever we can to recapture it if only in a few fleeting moments. My walk in the woods this past weekend gave me one of those moments and it felt GOOD. I am definitely planning to rinse and repeat.
I have been reading a book called Wherever You Go There You Are and it is really eye opening... very much related to what you talk about in your post and perhaps the path back to that happiness.
I sang that Charlie Brown song in the grade school. That was a long time ago but I remember all the words...
@ rashad
why are you up in here giving me warm fuzzies on this fine fall friday afternoon? You keep messing around and i might actually start smiling. :)
Seriously though, the things you named are happiness. And you've given me some things to think about. What you said about your son? I can't wait to experience that one day. Good stuff my friend.
@ jazzbrew
your favorite post? brilliant? wow thank you. i blush! :D
ok on to the meat and potatoes.
"part of the happiness that children exprience is a happiness blanketed by ignorance."
Great point. children are ignorant, and thats what makes them children. By nature their lives *are* one of inexperience. And no matter how much i wish it, i can't regain that same kind of blissful ignorance.
I like your suggestion of going without news for a week. As much as i like to be abreast of whats going on, it is a lot. I remember right after 9/11 every news outlet was showing images of the towers falling and i couldn't take it. I went on a news strike. I need to do that more often.
i've always been one to cherish the little things, but i'm going to work cherishing them more. And i think i'm going to bite off you and take a nice leisurely walk. the leaves are so pretty now, and its a perfect time marvel at the beauty of nature.
if you knew less and wanted less, maybe you'd find happiness. I often think the happiest guy in the world, is the one sleeping with all his belongings on the subway bench.
I think you said it best when you said that children experience happiness b/c of ignorance (is it not bliss?). Or maybe happiness is learning to be comfortable with sadness. Or finding something lovely to call your own. Or enjoying the quiet of a rainy day. Okay, I'm confusing myself and likely u...not to mention, the sap-quotient...yikes! what do i know?
chubbs! thanks for your input. And you are onto something there, wanting less = more happiness. I need to work on that. Not that im a greedy person, wanting the world handed to me, but i could learn to minimize the wants i do have.
You didn't confuse me at all, you just gave me added perspective and perspective is what i need.
xoxo
one of my new favorite posts. let me know when you figure out how to get the magic back..will ya?
Post a Comment