Friday, March 14, 2008

THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA


(Not the tornado in Atlanta - just a picture)

here was a tornado in Atlanta tonight. Downtown Atlanta even.

Anyone who knows me for any amount of time is aware of my inordinate fascination/fear of tornadoes.(and now YOU know. see how quickly that info is disseminated? lol)
When i heard the news of tonight's twister in ATL, well, my ears perked up, and my heart beat a little faster. At about the age of five, i developed what was to become my signature fear of tornadoes. I have no idea what caused it(too much wizard of oz?) but i was terrified that one day a tornado would flatten the entire city of philadelphia.

My mother, ever soothing, would reassure me that tornadoes never came into urban areas because the landscape wasn't conducive to them forming.
Of course, once I got older I realized that that was not entirely true, and she was just trying to quell my fears. Thankfully, as i've matured the fear has given way to an intense fascination. The inner workings of these monsters, and what causes them have been a basis for many hours of recreational reading and study. Its my goal to one day go on one of the storm chaser tours, and see one forreal. However, hearing that tonight, one touched down in Atlanta reminded me of my youth. Storms are wild and wonderful, but more than a little scary.To be a witness to the power behind nature is a humbling thing.


Omni Hotel

I have some people down there, and they're fine, for which i'm thankful. I hope everything is well(at least physically) for the rest of the folks down there.



This is an awesome video. There is some language(so if you're at work you may wanna turn your speakers down)

2 comments:

rashad

My brother, his wife, and my nephew live down there, so needless to say i was very concerned. And of even more concern, was the fact that the bball tournament was postponed..all is well on both fronts now

£

oh wow Rashad. I'm glad they were ok. Did their neighborhood see any damage? It looked pretty crazy there last night

its funny i thought about you when i realized the bball tournament was postponed lol

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist H' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP