THE UNVITATION
If you're a Seinfeld junkie like I am, you probably remember the episode where Elaine is given a late invite to a wedding that is taking place in India. You know, the place where they still have the plague.( i mean really, the plague?) Elaine swears that its a ploy for her kinda-sorta friend, the "braless wonder" to be able to say Elaine was invited, while not really inviting her. Because who can make plans to go to India in a weeks time?(Btw...out of spite - Elaine made it. Whimsy ensued.)
Well im kind of in a similar situation. Not that i recieved an unvitation - thankfully i don't have frenemies like the indomitable sue ellen mishky - more that...well let me just tell you.
One of my close girlfriends, N, is getting married. I found out yesterday, and she's very excited about it. Other than being taken aback(i had no idea she was seeing someone on that level lol) I was/am happy for her. Immediately i thought she would have the standard engagement time of about a year, give or take a month. I began making plans accordingly.
Then she told me it was in July...
of this year.
Oh.
(well thats cool - not all folks have a long drawn out engagement...)
...In Jamaica.
*record scratch*
Now, Jamaica is not as drastic a location as India, but still. Jamaica? July? You're telling me this now? When i have to make plans and get time off and get money together and get hotel reservations and get yall a gift?
oh Drama!
Seriously, this came out of left field. Not long ago she broke up with a previous fiance, with whom she had been best friends since they were tykes. There was some shadiness on his part. One of those nasty situations i hope to never find myself in.(and they wonder why women hate men...l.boogie) Because of this, i had no idea she was mentally or emotionally ready to see someone again, much less, be ready to marry. But what do i know? I'm notoriously private about my own love life, so i shouldn't be surprised that im not always up to speed on the amorous adventures of all my friends.
But, thats neither here nor there.
The question of utmost consequence is, How am i going to make this happen? I do not want to miss my girl's wedding.
I mean would it have killed her to get married in Trinidad?(she's trini) At least i know i could crash with her fam for a few days. I mean really. She could have least have sent out a save the date card or somethin'. Whats the deal with desti-weddings anyway? Actually ive been toying with the idea of a destination wedding for myself. But thats to keep people away...not to invite them to. Oooh im such a hater! lol
But yeah, folks are uppity and too good for city hall? I keed. Ima really have to throttle this girl though.
Not really. But, basically.
Anyway would yall do me a solid? When i start planning my wedding, pleez remind me that if its going to be destination - i have to give all my attendees ample time to get their affairs in order so that they can make it. I don't want to be the subject of any blogs.
i'm buggin.
END PROGRAM MOUNTAINFROMMOLEHILL (omg did i use fortran? lol)
And now, From the putting-it-all-in-perspective-files:
RIP Sean Levert. If you are anything like me, youre response to hearing this sad news was a mixture of "WTF?" and OMG nooo!" Him dying is so surreal. One moment he's going to prison - and the next he's dead? Craziness. My heart goes out to his fam and friends at this difficult time.
2 comments:
I am a positive brother Lex. But given the volatile nature of your girl's past you may want to hold off on purchasing that ticket my friend..sorry to be so cynical
Rashad you are so right. I don't think its at all being cynical(but then again maybe it is. we have similar outlooks so i cant see it)
its just being wary. However she seems pretty serious about this so i'll reserve judgement.
Post a Comment